Moving To Houghton, Michigan
Guindon Moving & Storage is the professional mover Michigan has counted on for more than 80 years. We are the most experienced and largest Upper Peninsula movers, offering local and long-distance moving services for Houghton, MI.
Is Michigan’s Copper Country your next home? If you’re planning a local move in Houghton or are planning to move to Houghton from afar, give us a call today. We can assist with local and long-distance residential and commercial moving services.
Why Move To Houghton?
With a population of just under 8,000, Houghton is the fifth-largest city in the Upper Peninsula. This city flourished as a copper-mining town last century. It is named for Douglass Houghton, a geologist and explorer.
Houghton has been listed as one of the “100 Best Small Towns in America” because it offers what people are looking for, including jobs, higher education, a walkable downtown and fun things to do year-round. It was also the birthplace of professional ice hockey in the United States.
Houghton is affordable; the median home value is $127,600.
The city is home to Michigan Technological University, which offers more than 130 undergraduate and graduate degree program.
Things To Do In Houghton, Michigan
SHOPPING IN HOUGHTON
- Copper Country Community Art Center offers classes and programs as well as a gallery space for artists to sell their work.
- For national chain stores, a cinema and other family fun, visit Copper Country Mall.
PLACES TO EAT IN HOUGHTON
Downtown Houghton has dining options to suit your palate, from simple sandwich shops to brewpubs.
- The Ambassador restaurant stands out for its charm and murals (a poem explaining their history is printed on the menu). The pizza recipe has remained unchanged for more than 50 years.
- Joey’s Seafood & Grill is famous throughout Copper Country. Try the Canadian Walleye Almondine or Baked Lemon Pepper Whitefish.
- Of course, in the Upper Peninsula, you must eat a pasty. Roy’s Pasties & Bakery is your go-to destination for these savory, flaky delicacies, as well as homemade bread and hearty soup.
HOUGHTON FAMILY LIFE
- Quincy Mine’s mining operations have been closed since 1945. Today, visitors can take a cog rail tram ride and enter a tunnel nearly one-half mile into the side of the hill.
- Carnegie Museum of the Keweenaw is open year-round with exhibits about local cultural and natural history. Admission is free.
- Kids and parents will love the Chutes and Ladders playground. The waterfront park offers endless opportunities for sliding and climbing.
Our Favorite Houghton Festivals
- The top summer festival is Bridgefest, held in conjunction with Seafoodfest, in June. Bridgefest celebrates the opening of the Portage Lake Lift Bridge.
- The Copper County Strawberry Festival, which follows the Fourth of July, celebrates the berry, but also includes music, activities, and more.
- Houghton is often under a snow advisory, and locals make the most of it with Winter Carnival. In recent years, they broke records for the largest snowball, the largest snowball fight, and the largest number of people making snow angels in one place. Lawrence Tech students also make snow sculptures.
Where Is Houghton?
Houghton is the largest city in and the county seat of Houghton County, on the south shore of the Keweenaw Peninsula.
It is about a two-hour drive from Marquette. Copper Harbor, the tip of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula is about an hour away.
If you’re heading north from down state, getting to Houghton after you cross the Mackinaw Bridge is about a five-hour drive.
Get A Free Moving Estimate From Guindon Moving & Storage Today
If you’re thinking about moving to Houghton, call the best local movers in Northern Michigan, Guindon Moving & Storage. To ensure your next moving day goes off without a hitch, rely on the team with knowledge of the area, which helps keep your moving costs down.
We will put you in touch with your own personal moving representative, who will assist you with all the logistics of your move, including moving supplies, quoting a moving estimate, and answering all your questions along the way. We also offer warehouse storage. If you’re moving out of the Houghton area, we can assist you with long-distance moving and international moves. If you’re relocating your business, contact one of our commercial moving specialists.
We are a full-service moving and storage company that has been in the professional moving industry for over 80 years. And we treat you like family. Customer service is a tenant of our philosophy.
For more information, fill out our free estimate form or call us directly at (906) 786-6560!