9–12 Weeks Before You Move:
- Contact a real estate agent to begin the selling process.
- Establish your preferred moving dates.
- Do some research about your new community
- Look at schools and neighborhoods
- Look at options for family activities or groups that are particular interest to you
- If your employers is paying for all or part of your move, verify what your company covers
- Have a garage sale or donate goods you do not want to move. This will help you save costs on the move.
4 to 8 Weeks Before You Move:
- Contact Guindon Moving & Storage to schedule a convenient time for a free estimate.
- Arrange to purchase your new home; arrange financing; establish close dates.
- Make a list of everyone you need to notify of your move.
- Obtain change of address cards from your local post office.
- Check with your school on transferring your children’s school records.
- Research driver’s license requirements for the state you are moving to.
- Find out from the IRS or your accountant if moving expenses are tax deductible.
- Contact your insurance agent to discuss your insurance needs for your new home.
- Select a new bank in your new city.
- Begin to organize your medical and dental records.
Three Weeks Before You Move:
- Start packing, if you are not going to utilize Guindon Moving & Storage’s professional packing service.
- Compile all personal records.
- Change your address on credit cards, magazine subscriptions.
- Arrange for babysitters for the kids on loading day
- Arrange to have your utilities disconnected after your move-out day.
Two Weeks Before You Move:
- Start cleaning out your refrigerator and freezer.
- Clean your home – remember the basement and attic.
- Cancel newspaper delivery, trash and recycling pickup and other regular services.
- Dispose of all non-transportable items that you do not plan to donate to others.
- Transfer all current prescriptions to your new local pharmacy.
- Transfer bank accounts – remember your safety deposit box.
- Drain the oil and gasoline from power equipment